Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Abundance of Pearls

I have always been drawn to pearls and tend to find them at thrift stores, hoping they are real. Most times, they are not, but I scoop them up anyway due to the history behind pearls and the way they make me feel when I wear them. Pearls were one of the most popular items of jewelry in the Elizabethan era. Pearls were a fashionable and expensive item of jewelry, worn in a string or as a single pearl. The most valuable pearls occur spontaneously in the wild, but they are extremely rare. These wild pearls are referred to as natural pearls. Cultured or farmed pearls from pearl oysters and freshwater mussels make up the majority of those that are currently sold. Imitation or fake pearls are also widely sold in inexpensive jewelry. Of the pearls in the picture, only a few have value, but I still love to wear them to bring an elegant feel to any outfit. They are decorative, beautiful, and make me feel more sophisticated. Even though some have no value, I wear them for fun. And the ones that do have value- sentimental and worth, I wear on special occasions like my wedding. (That one is not pictured because it was borrowed from my mother, which was given to her by her mother.)

No comments:

Post a Comment